BIRD FRIENDLY COFFEE
When you drink Bird Friendly certified coffee, you brew a more biodiverse, sustainable world.
FACTS AT A GLANCE
- Created by Smithsonian scientists, the Bird Friendly gold standard does more than other eco-friendly seals to protect habitat that is often destroyed to make way for coffee growing.
- Instead of clearing rainforest, Bird Friendly coffees grow underneath shade trees that provide habitat for birds, including migratory species, whose impressive journeys can take them from the backyards of the US and Canada all the way to coffee farms in Latin America.
- Bird Friendly coffees are also certified organic, meaning they are grown without the use of chemical pesticides that are harmful to the environment. This certification provides farmers with a premium for their products.
- The bird population in the United States and Canada has declined by almost 30% — a total loss of 3 billion birds — across biomes since 1970 with habitat loss as a driving force.
- More than 5,400 coffee growers protect over 46,000 acres of Bird Friendly habitat worldwide, from Mexico to Peru, Ethiopia to Thailand.
NOT ALL SHADE GROWN COFFEE IS EQUAL
- Bird Friendly certified coffees are 100% pure shade grown and USDA Organic.
- No other eco-friendly seal or brand comes close to protecting biodiversity to Bird Friendly gold standards. Bird Friendly habitat flies above the rest by ensuring a combination of foliage cover, tree height and biodiversity proven to provide quality habitat for birds and other wildlife.
- Coffee experts say shade-grown coffees taste better because the beans mature for longer under shade, creating a more complex, deeper flavor.